My Blog List

Saturday, November 14, 2009

I kind of want to move to Detroit.

Pros:

- I would be within an hour and a half drive of "home".
- I could proceed into a Master of Social Work program at Wayne State.
- Trumbullplex - hosts many bands I would be delighted to see.
- Getting to New York state or Canada would be faster - if we wanted to do so.
- Ditto for urban Ohio.
- Ummm... supposedly there is a cool tile factory/museum and a huge bookstore there.
- The Magic Stick occasionally has some okay bands.
- Cheap rents. I'm also guessing that most landlords don't give a shit what you do as long as you're not trashing the place. I hear of lots of urban farming going on there - perfect for my dream of owning chickens and making raised beds to grow food on.
- The Heidelberg Project.
- The gritty urban feel I like about a place.

Cons:

- I would get homesick for Minneapolis probably within 6 months.
- The public school system most likely is in a state of disarray, knowing Michigan and I'm not so sure that I would want my daughter to attend there without knowing more.
- It's not called the Murder City for no reason...and apparently, after reading this article about a man found dead frozen in ice and attempts to call for help going unresponded to, I am a bit dismayed by their social servants behaviors.
- Finding a job in that state is like hunting unicorns.

No comments:

Post a Comment