My Blog List

Friday, March 12, 2010

I was offered, and accepted, an On-Call position with one of the largest social service agencies in Minnesota. The division I applied for is with a permenant supportive housing for formally homeless men who are chronic alcoholics. It is more or less a hospice for them in their later years.
I didn't have quite enough experience for the position I came in to interview for but they offered this on-call position - partially as a foot in the door. This way I can get a chance to prove my work ethic and ability as well as get a chance to work within the agency and see how I like it. Bonus is the fact that they are preparing to build and open up a grand new multi-use facility - if things work out right, I can probably slide right in there when the time comes.

Either way, I am still going to keep my position at the Men's Shelter I currently work at unless I absolutely cannot do both. I was walking through the halls last night and thought to myself how sad I would be to have to leave, the guys have enriched my life in many ways. Plus I love the agency and all that they do.

I've also begun doing personal research on immigration and issues that surround it - from the horrible walk across the deserts of the SW, the treatment that the walkers get from the Coyotes that lead them, the terrible cycle of working day labor or migrant work, the pain of being seperated from family after leaving in search of a better life, to the cultural confusion that happens once a family or person gets here or half a family gets here. Some of these problems are more specific to Latinos others could apply to any immigrants or refugees.

And the work is never done - a week or so ago, I saw a man get assaulted outside of the gas station. He was either kicked in the face or punched - it happened so fast I missed the actual physical action. He was flat out in the drive within seconds. As much as I would prefer not to, I called 911 because he wasn't getting up, and from what I could see from the street, he was out cold.

This morning was no exception. I was biking home from work and passed a woman out cold - she was somehow sitting somewhat upright but slumped in a way that her head was hanging down nearly in her lap. I started to circle back and try to wake her or check her out but I had noted a man "at the bus stop" across the street potentially watching me looking at her and decided to pull over a block down and I called 911 to have them send help out.

No comments:

Post a Comment