My Blog List

Sunday, January 17, 2010

I am really disappointed in myself that I cannot functionally speak Spanish. I feel like I am missing out on a lot of amazing life stories from the guys. Not to mention, when something important comes up, like having to ask so and so to leave because they have been drinking, I need to be able to feel confident that they understand me and I understand their response. I am translating key phrases and such and am starting to study important words and phrases but as of yet, my mind goes blank when I'm in action at work.



Right now, there is this young guy from Argentina with the most mezmorizing bright blue eyes...and I don't think he knows a lick of English. Or if he does, it's pretty basic. I would love to know his story, to find out why he's here and where he's been. He just started showing up about a month ago, hanging out with the Latino crew that had beds or who were on the wait list. He would leave when the time came for those not staying for the night to move along. He won a 28 day bed finally this last week. Maybe I'll get a chance to sit down and see what his story* is.

This also applies to other languages but that hasn't been so much of an issue - the guy from Romania didn't get a 28 day bed and he seems to understand and speak English well and the guy from Belarus is about the same.
_____________________________________________________________
* "Story"
I kind of hate that terminology but I guess sometimes it's the easiest way to get across what someone means. The other night we had a referral from one of our street outreach crew - a young guy fresh in town from Texas, as I was showing him where to find his bed and linens, he asked "So..what's your story? Fresh out of college and volunteering here or something..is this how you spend your Friday nights?" I kind of skirted the question and just told him that I was there because it's what I want to do and left it at that. Fresh out of college? Flattering - yes. Reality - no. Unfortunately, I think I might have handled it a bit wrong because I think I either offended him or made him feel weird for asking and not getting an answer. Not my intention but I didn't really want to get into my "story" with him (boundaries for one thing).

No comments:

Post a Comment