My Blog List

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

When I last wrote, I was leading into a scary cab ride to the hostel near the Marina District of SF. Now I'm lacking steam to type it all out. So there.

Whilst out in the Bay Area, I read an editorial written by a youth worker for at-risk population in Oakland. He was talking about how a group was planning to come from Oregon to protest at the hearing of the cop who shot an unarmed man, Oscar Grant, in a BART subway station.

This writer spoke out about these activists coming in and riling up the people who actually live in the neighborhoods, in turn opening up the potential for youth, in particular, to get caught up in trouble that they would ultimately pay for and in which they may have never done in the first place without the antagonization. At first, I was a little puzzled. Then I paused and tried to imagine his side and it started to make more sense.

I don't 100% agree with his anger regarding a group that was trying to ultimately show support for Oscar and his family I can see how it could impact the community if things get out of hand.

Just a point of view that I hadn't considered in a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment